Thursday, July 16, 2009

from drab to fab :)

I don't know why but this year I have been obsessed with garage sales and thrift stores (even more so than usual). This is something I picked up at Bibles for Mexico for $2.



It was an old, ugly, lightbulb fixture - maybe something you'd hang over a bathroom sink. I had an idea of what I wanted to do with it and it turned out just as I hoped it would. This is the final product:


I spray painted it black, stamped the fancy design on it, and added the crystals and candles (all of which, I might add, were already in my possession!) I put it in my massage room because I thought it would add more to the ambiance I am trying to create in there.

Last week, my 'girlfriends' and I went to IKEA. I love it there and made a list a few weeks prior to going of what I needed. It never fails- I get there and buy all this stuff that I really don't need but forget the stuff I really do need. Hence, the very detailed list. And I'm proud to say that I stuck to it (minus a few {cheap} essentials)! Included in my list were a few various items to give our bedroom a makeover. Of all the rooms in our house, our bedroom is the only one that I haven't changed since we've owned the house. Which we've only owned it for 4 years but I'm just finally starting to get the hang of this decorating thing. And for the past few years, Jordan and I haven't been happy with our room. Hence, the makeover. I should have taken a before picture because it was pretty hideous but didn't think of it in time. So here are the after pictures:




I'm really happy with it's transformation. Before, we had these (dresden dream) blue walls and a blue and brown floral, black comforter (don't ask me what I was thinking when I bought it. In my defense - I was pregnant). For quite a while, our dresser was white with a white mirror above it. So I painted the dresser and the mirror black. I found a second oval mirror and also painted it black. It still needed something else so from IKEA, I bought the shelf underneath the mirrors and a couple of candles. I also got the comforter , the big pink pillow, and the curtains from IKEA. I repainted the walls with this slate gray color that I already had in the house, and I collected other knick knacks to add to the shelf. It's funny, when I took off the switch plates to paint behind them, I noticed that under our blue color was the color of the room before we got our hands on it and it was the EXACT same color as the gray I was putting on! Isn't that crazy? And I remember that we thought the room was too dark when we bought it. Although, there was still dark oak trim and I think now the gray walls with the white trim complement each other so well. And we had these black frames that I put scrapbook paper in and covered with lace curtains I was no longer using. Another freebie!! So total cost of our 'master' bedroom makeover? Seventy Five Dollars!!

Comforter: $35
Mirror #1: $0
Mirror #2: $8
Window: $0
Decorative Frames: $0
Curtains: $5
Shelf: $15
Pink Pillow: $10
Two pink/red Candles: $2
Finally being content with our bedroom: Priceless

I'm not sure that the frames next to the bed are going to stay or go. What do you think? I always think that every wall should have something on it, but sometimes that's not necessarily the case. All in all, I'm pretty happy with our new room - and especially the fact that with a little bargain shopping, we could make it over for so cheap.

And as of last week, we are enjoying some of the 'fruits of our labor' from our garden. I LOVE having a garden at last!!

14 comments:

  1. Once again my little Martha Stewart of as sister has blown me away by her creative genes! It's cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks terrific!So many great details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bedroom is beautiful and creates a relaxing feel. Your light fixture is really pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE LOVE your mater bedroom! My hubby wont let me do that color redish pink because he says its to girly! UGH MEN!:) Be sure to LINK it up to my Trash To Treasures Party & adding my button! It will get you an additional entry in an UPCOMING GIVEAWAY i'll be doing! Following my blog will get you another one TOO! Happy Blogging & hope you join the party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your bedroom! I'm definitely looking for inspiration for my own and I love what you've done. Especially the paint and the comforter. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The light fixture looks great after! And I love the grey in your room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mouth dropped open when I saw that candle fixture -- seriously. I LOVE THAT!! I love the bedroom too -- can you tell me the brand of that paint?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The brand of paint I used was Behr from Home Depot - my absolute favorite brand. It goes on so great with just one coat :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! I love what you did with the light fixture...that's such a great idea and it really turned out beautiful. Your bedroom looks AMAZING! I love the color choices and all the black accents are just perfect! Well done!! Want to come over and give my bedroom a facelift? Thanks so much for the link!
    ~Andy @ p@p

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what you've done. what's the paint color called?

    ReplyDelete