Monday, August 13, 2012

half . bath

I'm starting this home makeover segment with the smallest and most completed room project in the house.  The half-bathroom. 

Nothing about our half bathroom was done to our liking.  But we knew it would be a job to make it over so we were patiently waiting for the right time to attack it.  Six years later, the time was right!  Jordan tore out the three levels of flooring (the ugly vinyl tile, the white and gray tile underneath the vinyl, and the original wood flooring beneath the tile) until he finally reached the sub-floor.  Next came the beadboard... the worst part of the demo.  Our walls are plaster and there is chicken-wire in the walls as well (to hold the plaster together).  Removing walls around here is never fun or easy!  After cleaning up the mess, we finally had a blank canvas to work with.  Now we had to decide what we wanted to do with it.  Our style around our house is something of a modern farmhouse with industrial decor.  What that means to us is clean lines with old, natural materials.  We have very similar likes and dislikes and with Jordan's talents as a carpenter, it was easy for us to come up with a solution for the space.  This is what we came up with:

We painted the horizontal boards and put them in place.  I absolutely love the look of plank walls!  We got a new toilet, sink, faucet, and light fixture.  Jordan built the sink base with some reclaimed lumber.  We laid the wood flooring, sanded, and painted it white.  Jordan turned the awkward, wasted space (unseen in the picture but to the left of the sink) into a closet.  I painted the room in a white cream and the ceiling in my most favorite shade of gray.  We're going to attack the mirror with some acid to distress it some and we still have to decide what to place above the toilet.  Actually, we're pretty sure that some of Jordan's antique gears are going to be placed in that spot, we just haven't gotten to it yet.



This sink is one of my most favorite items in the house!  I just love it's shape and size and I think it works so perfectly in this space.

I searched high and low for a before picture of the bathroom but cannot find one. That is so unlike me. I think I snap a shot of a room everytime I paint and especially before we demolish a room. But not this room, I guess. So this is the best before picture I could find and it was during the big kitchen remodel so you can see the construction happening all around it.


 See that small doorway. That's the bathroom. The toilet and vanity were already pulled out of there at this point. The walls had some cheap and ugly beadboard that had been up since we purchased the house and it was very cheaply done. There was a small, useless cubby where I stored the broom, mop, and vacuum behind a curtain.  The vanity wasn't anything special, either.

We love our new bath room!  And I must brag about my husband here!  He's just amazing and can make anything happen.  We really enjoy working with each other and getting our kids in on the 'fun' too.  I love it that Jordan can turn our conjured ideas into something that can be seen and...painted!

No comments:

Post a Comment