Thursday, January 31, 2013

big boy . baby girl . nursery

Well it only took me a few months to complete it (and it's actually still not completely done to my liking!) but I think I am done with Charlie and Emmy's  bedroom.  I knew that I wanted to keep with the vintage airplane theme for Charlie but didn't know exactly how I wanted to incorporate a feminine touch as well.  This is what I came up with:


I like that it's masculine and feminine.  I had made the 'take flight' bunting before Emmy was born and I wanted that to remain the theme.  I had contemplated doing pink airplanes but then I found a gorgeous hot air balloon picture on etsy.  The balloon became my inspiration.  And I would still LOVE to purchase the picture but I can't justify a $45 8x10!  I wanted neutral grays and browns and yellows and pinks to be the color scheme.

Last year, we sanded and then painted the floor gray.  And I absolutely love it in this room!  I changed the wall color as well.  The ceiling has been gray for almost 7 years and I think it's the only piece of the house that has not been repainted since! 

Jordan built the toddler bed out of 2x4s (and Charlie and I adore it!).  The quilt on Charlie's bed was a baby gift made by Charlie's great-grandma and the knit chevron-like blanket underneath was made by Charlie's great-great grandma!  At a flea market last year, Jordan came across 5 original blueprints for an airplane in a $10 bin.  He told the old man he would take them and the guy said, 'oh, I can't sell those to you for $10.  They weren't supposed to be in that bin.' So Jordan asks how much for them.  The guy says, '$15'.... for all five!!  We were thrilled, perhaps you are not :)  Jordan framed his favorite.  The propeller and the rusted star were also selected from flea markets over the years.  The airplane was a World Market purchase. 


this boy is always sneaking into my photoshoots!


yes...that is dust!

I made the bedskirt (and it hides tubs of baby clothes underneath).  The crib was a baby gift for Natalie from my parents and I imagine that Emmy will be the last of our children to use it.  I had to repaint the top trim to somewhat cover the chew marks!  It seemed fitting for Emmy Ellamae to have an elephant stuffed animal and I also cut out and framed the little elephant in the picture frame.  Emmy's quilt was also made by great-grandma Jones.  I made the little pink pillow from my most favorite fabric.  I made some hanging hot air balloons but never could figure out where to hang them.  Still to come... I'd like to make or buy a rag-rug with some grays, pinks, and yellows.


our changing table :)



'Ee' is for 'Emmy'

I removed the closet doors and it made the small room seem much bigger. I turned some extra fabric from Jordan's mom that I had been dying to use into a curtain.  And we took out the old-good-for-nothing-ranch-style closet system and put in the much-better-use-of-space wire system!  And I organized it over and over until I got it just right.  I had seen on pinterest to use egg cartons for organizing baby socks and it has been very helpful.



egg cartons... who knew, right?!


Prior to Emmy joining this bedroom, we had a dresser in here for Charlie and our piano.  But we were able to put those elsewhere (temporarily our bedroom!) and I've been able to do without a changing table (why not just use the crib?!)  So I'm happy with the space we've opened up in this bedroom.  It's only temporary, we won't make Charlie share a room with a girl for too long, but for now it's just perfect for my big boy and baby girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment