Another post on what our home currently looks like. I'm still taking it just one post at a time and this time I'm concentrating on the laundry room. Our laundry room has changed pretty drastically in the 6.5 years we've owned our home.
This is what it looks like now.
This is what it looked like when we moved in... white marble flooring, a horrible layout, and old appliances.
Luckily we haven't had to live with the 'before' image of the laundry room for long. A few years ago, we changed the layout when we were forced to get a new washer and dryer. In January of this year, Jordan and his dad, uncle, and friends took out the flooring down to the sub floor. That included tearing up vinyl and tile. The kitchen and front entryway floors were also torn up at this same time. It took a couple months for the dust to settle! This was on a Saturday. The next day, we picked up the new wood flooring we had ordered and began to lay it on Monday. Jordan's work was slow so he had the week off which was what prompted us to finally get started on this daunting remodel. So we laid the new wood floor over Monday and Wednesday throughout the three rooms (Jordan had to work on Tuesday). On Thursday, we moved all of the furniture into the girls' bedroom and tore off all of the shoe molding. We were preparing for sanding the floors throughout the whole house which is what we did on Friday. All the while, our kids would play with their toys or watch movies as we worked. The day we sanded everything, they hung out downstairs. They had been sleeping down there the whole week and thought it was pretty cool that they could pretty much do anything they wanted down there while we worked. They were actually pretty responsible! On Friday morning, we picked up the sanders. Then we actually had to move this huge industrial serger for my sub-contracting business downstairs. We finally got started sanding around 10 am and didn't quit until dinnertime. It was another night of take-out which is pretty rare for us! Then right away on Saturday morning, we began painting the floors. We painted until early afternoon. The last area to get painted was the landing by the basement stairs. There was no place to go except down. The paint took a couple hours to dry to the point of being able to walk on so we stayed in the basement and all of us napped - even the dog. And then we started the second coat which went much faster. We were done by the end of the night. What a week...we were exhausted but so glad to have it all done. And it completely changed the look of the house!
And here are some of the finishing touches.